The Excalibur@St John’s School Direct Secondary PGCE Programme
If you would like to discuss your own situation and aims, and find out more about our programme, email AdminTSA@stjohns.excalibur.org.uk or call us on 01672 519575 for an informal, friendly chat.
The Excalibur at St John’s School Direct Initial Teacher Training programme is delivered through a partnership of schools in Bristol, West Berkshire & Wiltshire, based at St John’s Marlborough, an outstanding academy and at John O’Gaunt School in Hungerford. We work in collaboration with Bath Spa University to develop and deliver cutting-edge teacher training programmes.
School Direct is a school-led training programme for graduates who want hands-on training in a school. On a School Direct course you’ll feel part of our school family, and get the chance to learn on the job in at least two different schools, working with experienced colleagues and putting your new skills into practice from day one.
Our flexible approach to teacher training enables us to meet your needs and interests in both rural and urban locations across a range of secondary schools. We offer Secondary level School Direct ITT training as well as the opportunity to experience Key Stage 2/3 cross-phase and Sixth Form teaching and are passionate about the development and training of new teachers within our educational settings.
You will learn first-hand from our team of outstanding and experienced teachers and ITT mentors who will support you on your journey to PGCE with QTS status and onto the Early Career Framework as an Early Career Teacher.
We offer training in a wide range of academic subjects. Check our How to Apply page for details.
Download a copy of our 2021/22 secondary training programme:
Our training course
Our 10-month School Direct programme is a blend of school-based teaching practice, in-school Core Curriculum and University studies. The programme is carefully designed in conjunction with Bath Spa University to support you to work with the 11-16 age range, and offering, where possible, the experience of A Level teaching.
Students have two placements in secondary schools during the year. At least one placement will be at St John’s Marlborough or at John O’Gaunt Hungerford. In your home school you will be supported by your Lead Trainer and a subject mentor, as well as a university-based tutor. During your placements to other school settings you will continue to be supported by your home school Lead Trainer, and will spend one afternoon each week with other Excalibur@St John’s PGCE students following our School Core Curriculum programme, giving you the opportunity to share good practice and discuss your experiences and current issues with us, and with other School Direct trainees. You will also spend two blocks of time with Bath Spa University, in September/October and again in January/February, some of which may be remote learning.
The benefits of training with us
- A bespoke School Core Curriculum programme exploring current teaching issues including Wellbeing, EAL, SEND, Mental Health, Recovery Curriculum, and supporting disadvantaged/disengaged students
- Weekly meetings with other trainees and your Lead Trainer(LT), focusing on key topics
- The benefit of the expertise of our LT, your Mentor and University Subject Tutor
- An excellent training base and access to evidence-based staff CPD programmes with keynote speakers, subject training and presentations on hot topics
- Highly experienced, supportive, trained subject mentors
- A ready-made, friendly support group with other trainees, including an induction event prior to starting the course in September
- Confidence that we will work hard to match you to placement schools that are convenient for you and your family commitments
- Knowing where your placement schools will be before the course starts
- Excellent prospects: we work hard to ensure your training year makes you stand out at interview, ensure you are aware of prospects within our Trust, and support you in your applications
Feedback from our trainees
- “The support network is great and I know I will always have someone I can approach if I need help”
- “The information we have been given is very well structured”
- “My questions and concerns were answered before I had even thought to ask”
If you’re interested in training as a Primary teacher, we work in partnership with Corsham-based Pickwick Learning to offer training placements in schools in the Excalibur Trust.