The Excalibur@St John’s Secondary PGCE Programme
If you would like to discuss your own situation and aims, find out more about our programme, or have questions about the programme, email AdminTSA@stjohns.excalibur.org.uk or call us on 01672 519575 for an informal, friendly chat.
The Excalibur at St John’s Initial Teacher Training programme is a non-salaried PGCE qualification delivered in collaboration with Bath Spa University, based at St John’s Marlborough, an outstanding academy and other schools in our cluster.
We work with Bath Spa University, which provides the academic elements of the course, and we offer school placements in our area, centred in Marlborough, Wiltshire, regular professional studies sessions throughout the year with our whole PGCE cohort, as well as opportunities to meet other PGCE students in your subject area at university. If you train with us, you’ll be treated as part of our school family, and will have the chance to learn on the job in at least two different schools, working with experienced colleagues and putting your new skills into practice from day one.
Our placement schools include, in addition to St John’s Marlborough, Bradon Forest School, Great Western Academy, John O’Gaunt Hungerford, Kingsbury Green Academy, The Ridgeway School and the Stonehenge School.
Trainees who are eligible can apply for student finance to cover the course fee, and for a maintenance loan. Bursaries and scholarships are available in a number of subjects. See our Bursaries and Funding page.
Our flexible approach to teacher training enables us to meet your needs and interests in both rural and urban locations across a range of secondary schools, and the opportunity to experience Key Stage 2/3 cross-phase and Sixth Form teaching. We are passionate about the development and training of new teachers within our educational settings.
You will learn first-hand from our team of outstanding and experienced teachers and ITT mentors who will support you on your journey to PGCE with QTS status and onto the Early Career Framework as an Early Career Teacher.
We offer training in a wide range of academic subjects. Check our How to Apply page for details.
Download a copy of our 2023/24 secondary training programme:
Our training course
The 10-month non-salaried programme is a blend of school-based teaching practice, in-school Core Curriculum and University studies. The programme is designed in conjunction with Bath Spa University to support you to work with the 11-16 age range, and offering, where possible, the experience of A Level teaching.
PGCE students have two placements in secondary schools during the year. At least one placement will be at St John’s Marlborough or at John O’Gaunt Hungerford. In your home school you will be supported by your Lead Trainer and a subject mentor, as well as a university-based tutor. During your placements in other schools you will continue to be supported by your home school Lead Mentor, and will have regular training sessions with other Excalibur@St John’s PGCE students, giving you the opportunity to share good practice and discuss your experiences and current issues with us, and with other trainees. You will also spend time at Bath Spa University, some of which may be remote learning.
The benefits of training with us
- Confidence that we will work hard to match you to placement schools that are convenient for you and your family commitments
- Knowing where your placement schools will be, well in advance
- Excellent prospects: we work hard to ensure your training year makes you stand out at interview, ensure you are aware of prospects within our Trust, and support you in your applications
- A bespoke in-school programme exploring current teaching issues including Wellbeing, EAL, SEND, Mental Health, Recovery Curriculum, and supporting disadvantaged/disengaged students
- Regular meetings with other trainees and your Lead Trainer(LT), focusing on key topics
- The benefit of the expertise of our Lead Mentor, your subject Mentor and University Subject Tutor
- An excellent training base and access to evidence-based staff CPD programmes with keynote speakers, subject training and presentations on hot topics
- Highly experienced, supportive, trained subject mentors
- A ready-made, friendly support group with other trainees, including an induction event prior to starting the course in September
Feedback from our trainees
- “The support network is great and I know I will always have someone I can approach if I need help”
- “The information we have been given is very well structured”
- “My questions and concerns were answered before I had even thought to ask”