The curriculum at St John’s is challenging, knowledge based and prides itself on achieving excellence. We focus on nurturing independent students equipping them with the life skills necessary to succeed. Literacy, oracy, numeracy, resilience and organisational skills are vital in preparing students for the wider world of work and further study.
Students will develop a passion for learning through our aspirational, differentiated curriculum and through a wide range of enrichment opportunities. St John’s is a safe environment where we celebrate equality and diversity. Wellbeing and a healthy lifestyle is important, a carefully planned programme is delivered by specialist teachers.
Provision is in place for targeted support for all students through a mentoring programme. Critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinking will lead to an appreciation of the world around them and prepare students to be global citizens.
Art & Design 2019
Classical Civilisations 2019
Computing & ICT 2019
Design & Technology 2019
English / English Literature
English Language 2019
Food & Nutrition 2019
Forensic Investigation 2019
Health & Social Care 2019
Hospitality & Catering 2019
Media Production 2019
Modern Foreign Languages 2019
Philosophy & Religion – TBA
Physical Education 2019
Science – For KS3 Science and KS4 Combined Science, see Biology above
Trips and Visits
The St John’s curriculum is enhanced by a variety of school trips, including many visits to theatres, museums, lectures, to name a few. In addition, a full range of other activities are on offer. In years past we have visited China, Gambia, Italy, Greece, France, Germany, Spain, and the USA.
- Y8 upwards – Skiing Course
- Y8 upwards – Watersports Course
- Years 8 -10 – German Exchange in Vahingen an der Enz *
- Year 9 – Chinese exchange trip
- Year 9 – French Exchange trip with Limoges *
- Year 9 upwards – History Field Trip – Year 9 Battlefields
- Year 9 upwards – Geography Field Trip – Year 10 Lulworth Cove
- Year 10-13 – Spanish Language Trip
- Year 11-13 Art Trips to Paris, Barcelona, Rome or New York
- Year 13 – Biology Field Trip – Pembrokeshire
- Year 13 – Earth Science trip to Exmoor
* It is highly desirable that all children learning French and German should join in an exchange at least once.
All trips payments are managed through the ParentPay website.