The curriculum at St John’s is challenging, knowledge based and prides itself on achieving excellence. We focus on nurturing independent students equipping them with the life skills necessary to succeed. Literacy, oracy, numeracy, resilience and organisational skills are vital in preparing students for the wider world of work and further study.
Students will develop a passion for learning through our aspirational, differentiated curriculum and through a wide range of enrichment opportunities. St John’s is a safe environment where we celebrate equality and diversity. Wellbeing and a healthy lifestyle is important, a carefully planned programme is delivered by specialist teachers.
Provision is in place for targeted support for all students through a mentoring programme. Critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinking will lead to an appreciation of the world around them and prepare students to be global citizens.
Business & Economics
Classical Civilisations – TBA
Computing & ICT
Design & Technology
English / English Literature
Food & Nutrition
Health & Social Care
Latin – TBA
Modern Foreign Languages
Science – TBA
Trips and Visits
The St John’s curriculum is enhanced by a variety of school trips, including many visits to theatres, museums, lectures, to name a few. In addition, a full range of other activities are on offer. In years past we have visited China, Gambia, Italy, Greece, France, Germany, Spain, and the USA.
- Y8 upwards – Skiing Course
- Y8 upwards – Watersports Course
- Years 8 -10 – German Exchange in Vahingen an der Enz *
- Year 9 – Chinese exchange trip
- Year 9 – French Exchange trip with Limoges *
- Year 9 upwards – History Field Trip – Year 9 Battlefields
- Year 9 upwards – Geography Field Trip – Year 10 Lulworth Cove
- Year 10-13 – Spanish Language Trip
- Year 11-13 Art Trips to Paris, Barcelona, Rome or New York
- Year 13 – Biology Field Trip – Pembrokeshire
- Year 13 – Earth Science trip to Exmoor
* It is highly desirable that all children learning French and German should join in an exchange at least once.
All trips payments are managed through the ParentPay website.