The Careers and Work Related Learning Department covers a wide range of curriculum activities including careers education and guidance, as well as specific year group events. Our comprehensive careers programme is aimed at enhancing employability through a variety of opportunities for students including valuable contact experiences with different employers and organisations.
All students receive careers education lessons focusing on helping them to use the knowledge and skills they develop to make successful transitions into the world of work. Schemes of work can be found on this website by hovering over Curriculum in the menu buttons, clicking the key stage of interest in the drop-down menu, scrolling down to the Downloads section for the year of interest, then looking for the button labelled “CWRL”. Careers resources also can be accessed by students through the St John’s SharePoint “Careers” site. This includes an online careers library called Careers Companion, Fast Tomato (a careers exploration site) and Higher Ideas for exploring Higher Education options. Passwords for online resources are included in student planners.
Individual careers guidance is offered to students from year 8 and appointments can be organised through the Careers & WRL department in G121.
St John’s works with the Careers & Enterprise Company and its linked governor to monitor and improve career provision. We successfully achieved our revalidation of the quality in careers standard award, Gold Careers Mark in May 2019, making good progress towards meeting all the accreditation criteria incorporating the Gatsby Benchmarks, the government statutory careers requirements, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/careers-guidance-provision-for-young-people-in-schools
Please contact Mrs F Havill, Careers Leader, 01672 519551, email@example.com for any further information. For any general queries and information regarding work experience/shadowing please contact Mrs T Smith, 01672 519562, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Careers Fair / Moving on Fair: Wednesday 27 January 2021 (for years 9 to 13)
View the Virtual Event Page.
Bulletins for events and activities are circulated to students in year 10, 11 and 12/13 as well as tutor notices to all year groups.
- Careers Education Lessons: Term 2
- Careers Education Lessons: Term 3 & 4
- Careers Education Lessons: Terms 3 & 4
- Careers Education Lessons: Term 4
- Virtual Mock Interviews: 29th-30th June 2021
- Work Experience assembly: Tuesday 3rd November 2020
- Parents Information Evening: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 – see our Presentation to Parents page for downloads of the presentations
- Work Experience Week: Cancelled for w/c 28th June although placements organised will be allowed to continue. This has been replaced with Employability Activity w/c 12th July. Students are encouraged to complete virtual placements (see Springpod and Speakers4Schools links below).
- Careers Education Lessons: Term 1
- Assemblies and group guidance on the post 16 options: Term 1 & 2
- Guidance meetings throughout the year
- Year 12 Work Shadowing Days: Week Commencing 29th March 2021
Note: All PDFs open in a new tab.
CEIAG Policy 2019-2021
Learner Entitlement to CEIAG
Progression Data 2019
Provider Access Policy
Work Experience Policy
Mock Application for a Virtual Work Experience Programme 2021
Y10 Mock Placement Application Form
Year 12 Work Shadowing Form
Oxbridge Explained – Y12 school visits
Note: All links with the globe icon open in a new tab.
Careerpilot – Choices at 14, 16 & 18
Careers Resources – Career Companion website
Morrisby (Fast Tomato)
National Careers Service
Speakers4Schools and S4S Experience
SpringPod for Work Experience
We are NCS
Presentations to Parents on the St John’s Website
Careers News December 2019