Pupil Premium Funding – PP
Pupil Premium (PP) is additional funding from central Government targeted at those students, for whom social disadvantage could lead to academic underperformance or to disengagement with school. The funding supports us to close the attainment gap between tracked students and their peers. St John’s is situated in the town of Marlborough 13% of our students are in receipt of Pupil Premium Funding and 2% entitled to Military Pupil Premium Funding.
Key Aims and Objectives
To narrow the achievement gap for children and young people, including children in care, by ensuring increased opportunities and improved outcomes in-line with the DFE Equal opportunities policy.
To close the disadvantaged attainment gap by providing additional targeted resources for those students who are in low-income families.
Strategies to Achieve Our Aims and Objectives
Our main priority is to ensure outstanding quality teaching throughout the school. This will benefit all students, including those who are in receipt of PP. The primary provision for PP students is via the classroom teacher. Therefore, all staff are:
- Aware of which students are in receipt of PP
- Aware of the individual needs of all students, including those in receipt of the PP
- Are able to request additional support and interventions for PP students where required
In addition, there is a range of targeted support strategies resulting in every student, regardless of their background, being able to:
- Improve their levels of attainment and progress
- Close attainment gaps relative to school averages
- Have full access to our curriculum
- Access our extra-curricular provision
St John’s spends the majority of its pupil premium funding on additional in-class support, but we also think it is important to offer practical support to students so they are able to enjoy a full range of opportunities.
Additional benefits available to Pupil Premium students are:
- A free breakfast from the St John’s canteen. Hot chocolate, fruit juice, bacon rolls, sausage rolls, porridge, fresh fruit or toast are available. Grab bags are also available for late arrivals.
- Students are able to use the St John’s library shop to obtain stationery and revision guides free of charge.
- After school clubs requiring payment are free to those students who are currently entitled to Free School Meals, or half price when household income is less than £25,000pa.
- The St John’s Opportunity Fund can subsidise the cost of school trips for students from low income households.
- A subsidy of 50% is available for compulsory school uniform and compulsory PE kit if students are currently entitled to Free School Meals.
The Excalibur Academies Trust Pupil Premium Statement can be found under Downloads below.
Funding Summary Information 2022
|Total Disadvantaged Budget||£217 305|
|Review Procedure||Ongoing review of strategies with full termly evaluation and adaptation|
|Total Number of students||1732 (Y7-13)|
|Number of disadvantaged learners||199|
|Date of next termly evaluation||November 2023|
Key Performance Indicators 2022
|Performance of Year 11 PP vs (Non PP students)||St Johns||LA Average PP||National Average PP|
|Progress 8 score||0.29 (0.24)||0.08||0.15|
|Attainment 8 score||50.9 (56.3)||52.1||52.6|
|% Achieving a strong pass English and Maths(9-5)||43 (61)||54||57|
|% Achieving a standard pass English and Maths(9-4)||70 (81)||75||76|
|% Achieving a standard pass English Baccalaureate||37 (48)||28||31|
|P8 Open (best remaining)||0.53 (0.49)||–||–|
Whole Strategy Review Dates for Academic Year 2022-2023
For information about our strategy, please see Pupil Premium Strategy for 2022-2023 under Downloads below. The whole strategy review days for 2022/23 are as follows:
- 27 January 2023
- 27 April 2023
- September 2023
Note: All PDFs open in a new tab.
Excalibur Academies Trust Pupil Premium Statement on the Trust Website Policies page
Catch-up Funding 2020-2021
Numeracy & Literacy Catch-up Premium Report 2017-18
Numeracy & Literacy Catch-up Premium Report 2018-19
Pupil Premium Strategy 2022 V1
Pupil Premium Strategy 2021-22
Pupil Premium Report 2019-20
Pupil Premium Report 2018-19
Pupil Premium Statement 2019 (links to a PDF on the Excalibur Academies Trust website).