St John’s Uniform
The St John’s uniform is an essential part of the ethos of the school as it creates a sense of belonging and purpose. It is also important that we have a uniform so that students feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance and recognise that we value all students alike. Our new updated design for Year 7 students incorporates our desire for sustainability and our belief that our uniform should be as similar as possible regardless of gender and our tie, common to all, a symbol of that shared identity. Ours students represent themselves and us outside of the school and are expected to maintain high standards wherever and whenever the uniform is worn, including travelling to and from school.
We expect students to attend school in neat, tidy clothing which is appropriate for the work they will be doing. We specify that non-logo’d items of clothing should be plain and sensible. We have a number of reasons for adopting our dress code:
- It enables parents to have the opportunity to choose where they buy the non-logo’d items of clothing.
- It enables students to have some choice about their clothing while, hopefully, not vying with each other to wear the latest fashion.
- It avoids staff having to spend valuable time on fruitless arguments with students about the colour or suitability of their clothing.
The following items of clothing can only be purchased on-line from our official uniform/sports kit supplier, School Colours via our ParentPay online shop – see Weblinks below, or the Quick Links button drop-down on the left of the page.
- Blazers: St John’s navy blue slim fit tailored jacket with school name and logo.
- Skirts: St John’s tailored straight or pleated black skirt with logo ONLY. Skirts to be worn just above the knee, see policy below.
- Jumpers: (Optional) St John’s navy-blue V-neck with sky blue stripe around the neck and logo tab.
- Tie: All Year 7 students from September 2020, navy-blue with logo stripes (new style), all male students in all other year groups..
- Sports Kit: St John’s Navy polo shirt
- Sports Kit: St John’s Navy Hoody (for safety reasons, the hoody cannot be worn for Rugby)
- Sports Kit: St John’s Navy Rugby Shirt
- Sports Kit: St John’s Navy Shorts
- Sports Kit: St John’s Navy Skort
- Sports Kit: St John’s Navy tracksuit bottoms
- Sports Kit: St John’s Navy/Sky Blue Socks
The following items can be purchased from the school wear (and not fashion range) of only those suppliers who offer a specific school wear range of clothing e.g. Asda, John Lewis, Marks and Spencer, Sainsbury, Tesco etc.
- Trousers: Black only in a traditional tailored style, full-length (hem should meet shoes).
- Shirts: White formal school shirt, button to neck with collar suitable for wearing with a tie and either long, short or ¾ length sleeves.
- Footwear: Black shoes. These should be plain, leather or leather look, hard-wearing and of a sensible style.
- Socks: Navy, black, grey or white socks.
- Tights: Black, navy or neutral.
- Shorts: Black, knee-length, classic tailored shorts during the summer terms only – see guide below.
The school uniform required for years 7-11 with clear guidance of what is and what is not acceptable (including images) can be found in the “St John’s Uniform Policy PDF”, found in the Downloads section below or on our “About Us” > “Policies” page.
St John’s Uniform and Sports Kit is available from the on-line shop via the Online Uniform Shop under the blue Weblinks drop-down below. No stock of uniform (other than ties) or sports kit are held at school.
Payment can be made by credit or debit card. NO CASH PAYMENTS CAN BE ACCEPTED.
Orders of £50 or more qualify for free delivery to your home address. Orders under £50 will be delivered free to school on Wednesdays on a weekly basis. Alternatively, orders under £50 can be delivered to your home address at an additional cost of £5.95 + VAT.
Unfortunately, due to the current COVID19 restrictions and resulting limited school access, we are not able to offer our annual uniform fitting event or any individual fitting service for the foreseeable future. Our uniform supplier, School Colours, have provided a Guide to Measuring for Uniform Sizes (see Downloads section below) to assist you in identifying the correct size. Please use this guide before making your order. Should you need to exchange an item, during this period, you can return your parcel direct to School Colours (return postage costs will be payable) or alternatively drop off your return (in original packaging with completed returns note included) to school by 2.00pm Wednesday clearly marked SCHOOL UNIFORM RETURN and we will arrange a weekly delivery back to School Colours for processing. Your replacement item will then be despatched direct to your home address.
A Subsidy Scheme is in place to assist those families who will find it difficult to purchase the uniform and Sports Kit. The subsidy is available for students whose parents or guardians (not foster parents) are in receipt of:
- Income Support or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, or
- Child Tax Credit and whose annual gross income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) does not exceed £16190. Your tax credit notice (Form TC602) will tell you this, or
- Guaranteed element of the state pension credit, or
- Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999, or
- Income related employment support allowance,
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit, or
- Universal Credit and whose net annual income is less than £7400, after tax and excluding any benefits received.
PLEASE NOTE: If you receive Working Tax Credit other than the above run-on you will NOT be entitled to the subsidy.
If you are in receipt of one of the above benefits, copy documentation (current year’s award notice and not more than 6 months old) will be required to support your claim for subsidy. Any refund of the subsidy amount will be made retrospectively following the initial purchase.
If eligible, subsidy is only available for the compulsory elements of the uniform and sports kit (one of each only per purchase) and not any of the optional items.
Care and marking of property
Having provided your child with expensive items of clothing and equipment, please make sure that he/she takes good care of them. Each item of clothing and property should be clearly and indelibly marked. Unless this is done we cannot help to find lost belongings. Name tapes which are sewn into clothes last longer than adhesive ones. See links to the Easy2Name website and order form downloads below. PLEASE USE THIS UPDATED FORM FOR ALL ORDERS. Easy2Name have a new address.
Make sure that your child realises the importance of thorough searching and quick reporting if any item is lost. Carelessness is responsible for far more loss than dishonesty and sometimes unmarked, quite valuable property (eg a watch), goes unclaimed because no one bothers to ask for it.
Lost Property – all items both named and unnamed, including items of sports kit will be available in the Atrium each Monday and Thursday from 09:30 – 14:30. Unclaimed unnamed items of lost property will be disposed of at the end of the summer term or possibly each term if the storage space available is exceeded. The school can accept no responsibility for property lost on school premises.
Personal Equipment Requirements
Due to the pandemic, we will require students to have their own equipment, to avoid the need for sharing. The equipement required is:
- Black, blue and green pen (ballpoint or fountain pen)
- Pair of compasses
- Set of colour pencils
- 30 cm transparent ruler
- Glue stick
- Pencils (HB)
- Pencil sharpener
- Scientific calculator
- Set of felt tip pens
- Headphones (not wireless) for Music lessons
Second Hand Uniform
A group of @StJohnsMarlb parents have set up a Facebook group for gifting & reselling of second-hand St John’s uniform. The group is NOT run by St John’s, but fits in with our sustainability focus. Search Facebook for St John’s Marlborough Second Hand Uniform or use the link under the Weblinks drop-down below.
Note: All PDFs open in a new tab. Right-click and select your browser’s save as option to download the file.
St John’s Uniform Policy May 2020
St John’s Uniform Price List 2020 – Updated Jun 2020
Guide to Measuring for Uniform Sizes May 2020
Letter from the Principal about new uniform (includes updated price list) 26 Feb 2020
Easy2Name Order Form Order form updated May 2020